I am a CHID graduate and received my PhD in History from UC Berkeley. I work with faculty on CHID's study abroad programs and teach for CHID, History, and Jewish Studies.
In Minima Moralia, Theodor W. Adorno cites F. H. Bradley: "Where everything is bad, it must be good to know the worst." My research and teaching interests are driven by the question of how to make sense of, and respond to, forms of domination, especially as exemplified in the Holocaust, about which I've written some personal reflections. I'm especially interested in understanding antisemitism in the wider contexts of white supremacy and ongoing forms of racialization in Europe. My study abroad program in Amsterdam examines how Dutch identity is being refashioned by Dutch people of color amidst the supposed crisis of normative (white) Dutch national identity and "tolerant" values. My work in this field includes a translation of Tofik Dibi's Djinn, which will be published in SUNY Press's Queer Politics and Cultures series in 2020.
I have been a guest on The Stranger's podcast "Blabbermouth" to discuss such political terms as anarchy, progressive, and neoliberal; a panelist on Humanities Washington's "Think & Drink" event on populism; and I've written on Dutch racism in The Nation. I'm an editor for H-Low Countries and a trombonist in the Mexican band Banda Vagos.
- Barr Clingan, Nick. "Freud, Said, and the Question of Jewish Identity after the Holocaust." Stroum Center for Jewish Studies, University of Washington. May 4, 2016.
- Barr Clingan, Nicolaas P. "We Democrats." Roundtable review of Greenberg, Udi, The Weimar Century: German Émigrés and the Ideological Foundations of the Cold War. Introduction by Samuel Moyn and reply by Udi Greenberg. H-Diplo Roundtable Reviews XVII, no. 2 (2015), 16-20. Download PDF (680.17 KB)
- Barr Clingan, Nicolaas P. "Adorno, Celan, and the Dictum against Poetry after Auschwitz." CCAR Journal: The Reform Jewish Quarterly 62, no. 1 (Winter 2015): 8-22.
- Barr Clingan, Nicolaas P. "Hent de Vries and the Other of Reason." The European Legacy 15, no. 5 (2010): 549-63.
- Barr Clingan, Nicolaas P. Review of Bevc, Tobias, Kulturgenese als Dialektik von Mythos und Vernunft. Ernst Cassirer und die Kritische Theorie and Skidelsky, Edward, Ernst Cassirer: The Last Philosopher of Culture. H-German, H-Net Reviews. March, 2010.
- Barr Clingan, Nicolaas P. Review of Claussen, Detlev, Theodor W. Adorno: One Last Genius. H-German, H-Net Reviews. May, 2009.
- CHID 498 A: Special Colloquia "Neither Here Nor There: Narrating Your Experience Abroad"
- CHID 498 C: Special Colloquia Neither Here Nor There: narrating your experience abroad
- CHID 499 A: Undergraduate Independent Study Or Research
- CHID 207 A: Introduction To Intellectual History Introduction to Intellectual History The Idea of Community
- CHID 498 B: Special Colloquia Neither Here Nor There: Narrating Your Experience Abroad
- CHID 314 A: The Psychoanalytic Revolution In Historical Perspective (Course Website)
- CHID 498 A: Special Colloquia Neither Here Nor There: Narrating Your Experience Abroad
Pacific Lutheran University:
Writing 101, "Music in the Polis"
History of the Holocaust
- Humanities Washington Presents "A Beginner's Guide to Populism" - May 17, 2017
- Going Public - May 8, 2017
- Letter from the Director - May 8, 2017
- Global Citizenship and Mobility—But For Whom? - April 29, 2016
- Letter from the Director - April 29, 2016
- CHID's new study abroad journal is online! - April 6, 2015