Nathanael Elias Mengist (his/hers) returns as a proud CHID alum and former staff member to pursue a PhD in Human[ities] Centered Design and Engineering at the UW Seattle campus.
Nat is serving as the new Director of Learning + Change with the art & agriculture-driven non-profit, The Common Acre, while coaching leaders in anti-racist governance through his independent consultancy, FLOWERBOI FACILITATIONS, LLC. He also co-organizes the Another Worldly Energies Symposium on Metaphysical Enterprises and is a member/pillar of Inquilab.
Nat has publications pending with the magazine ACM Interactions, the blog Paracultures, and the forthcoming edited volume The Anthropocene Laboratory.
- Mengist, Nathanael Elias, Mariama Sidibe, Heidi Biggs, Tyler Fox, Phillip Thurtle, and Audrey Desjardins. "World building: Creating alternate worlds as meaningful making in undergraduate education." Art, Design & Communication in Higher Education 20, no. 1 (2021): 29-47.
- Mengist, Nat. "Witches, Witch-Hunting, and Women by Silvia Federici." Magic, Ritual, and Witchcraft 15, no. 1 (2020): 152-155.
Part-Time Lecturer | HUM 498: Special Topics in the Humanities: “Creating Alternate Worlds” | Summer 2019 | University of Washington, Seattle
Study Abroad Programs
Healing with Land: Refuge, Reparations, Repair (Study Away)
Chimacum, WA, USA
- Research as world-building & the community formed along the way - November 13, 2019
- “…you can’t build something new with just anger... but it gets you moving” - November 2, 2018
- Ecopoetics Along Shorelines got a shout-out in Perspectives! - April 24, 2018