Cynthia Anderson & Nat Mengist
Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 2:00pm to 3:00pm
Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 2:00pm to 3:00pm
Saturday, April 7, 2018 - 2:00pm to 3:00pm
During CHID's Spring Admitted Student Preview Sessions, new students and their guests will be introduced to our interdisciplinary major and have a look into what makes an individual civic minded.
- Meet CHID staff, instructors, and alumni and hear about how CHID has impacted their lives.
- Watch "The Advantages of a Liberal Arts Degree" with CHID alum and Outreach Coordintor, Nat Mengist.
- What does civic engagement look like to you? How do you or would you like to participate?
- Check out this article from The Nation: "White Innocence and the Dutch Elections" by CHID alum and instructor, Nick Barr, and see how his questions as a CHID student have expanded his career.
How does CHID help students to be more inspired and engaged in their education?
QUESTION. CRITIQUE. CREATE.
- What are you interested in? What makes you question? What inspires you to engage?
- CHID is an interdisciplinary program that draws on a wide variety of disciplines within the College of Arts and Sciences to examine the interplay of ideas and their cultural, historical, and political contexts. We encourage our students to engage thoughtfully in critical intellectual inquiry and reflection. We also emphasize the significance of being actively engaged in the world; of understanding the social, cultural, and political forces that shape our lives and identities; and our role in transforming our world.
- The University of Washington as a high ranking research institution allows for students to take action and answer their own questions with the backing and support they need.
- CHID’s faculty represent a broad range of disciplines within the academy, including Anthropology; Art History; Comparative Literature; Education; English; Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies; History; Latin American and Caribbean Studies; Native and Indigenous Studies; Philosophy; and Rhetoric.
- Check out our newsfeed to see what CHID Alum are up to now! Program graduates have gone on to postgraduate studies in the humanities and social sciences as well as to professional training and careers in a wide variety of fields including law, international relations, administration and public policy, medicine, education, journalism, the fine arts, new media and film. CHID alum teach English around the world, work as interior designers and personal trainers, run their own pottery studios, are librarians, musicians, dentists, social workers, and museum curators. They’ve written speeches for former UN Secretary–General Kofi Annan, owned hostels in Cape Town, and opened up coffee shops in Arkansas. They’ve joined the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, and the Marines. The possibilities for what you can do with a CHID major is limited only by your imagination.
Study Abroad with CHID
Leave your comfort zone.
- Visit the CHID International Programs website to see our sponsored programs (past programs include Iceland, India, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa, Germany, Cuba, Rome, and Viet Nam), or you can stop by the CHID office for program details and information on financial aid and scholarships, and chat with the CHID Advisor to figure out how you can use study abroad to fulfill degree requirements.
- Check out the 2018 edition of Neither Here Nor There, a publication edited and produced by students. This journal provides students returning from their study abroad experience with a space to revisit, rethink, and share stories about their travels. How can one explain in just a few short words an experience that was complicated, transformative, difficult, and euphoric?
For More Information
- If you have any questions about becoming a CHID major, make an appointment with CHID's Academic Advisor, Cynthia Anderson! You can also email Cynthia at firstname.lastname@example.org or give her a call at (206) 543-7333.
- To see our program requirements, take a look at our brochure or our CHID Major webpage.
- For current and upcoming CHID courses, see our Programs & Courses webpage.
- Find CHID on social media: Facebook, @CHIDatUW on twitter, and our Instagram.